"Life is like hockey: It's an exhausting, but exhilarating game, best when played with heart. If you go out there unprepared, you're gonna lose teeth. Actually, with age, you're gonna lose teeth regardless; might as well lose 'em fighting for something. It's a fun game, a brutal game, and a beautiful game, the fastest game."
"Here's the tough shit: Security, normalcy, convenience, protection and identity are opiates you've gotta wean yourself off before you can be an individual. You can't stand out if you're blending in."
"As human beings we govern our actions with our deepest fears. But if you name that shit, you claim that shit: Let enough people into your closet and you'll find there's no more room for skeletons. Leave yourself nowhere to hide and you can live life unguarded."
Kevin Smith's personal inspiration: John Hughes (Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off).
The Tenets of Buellerism
- Stay cool. Remember: When the meek get pinched, the bold survive.
- Hide in plain sight. Lip-synch in the face of danger.
- Play only by the rules if you enjoy gym.
- Between grief and nothing, take grief.
- Swing, batta
- Life move pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
amazing advice from Tough Sh*t by Kevin Smith